Frequently asked questions
– Select your desired route and date from the timetable search on our home page (select your departure, select your destination);
– Click on “Go”;
– Select your desired departure;
– Click on your desired departure;
– A selection of tickets will open; select your ticket by clicking on the “+” icon; you can select seats in first class by clicking on “Select seat”;
– Click on “Purchase”;
– A new page will open where you can choose whether the ticket will be sent to your Elron Farecard or your e-mail address. Confirm your selection by clicking on “Add to cart”;
– Select your bank, review the terms and conditions of use and make your payment. Having made your payment, click on “Return to vendor”;
– The ticket will be sent to your e-mail address or loaded onto your Farecard. You also have the option of requesting an e-mail confirmation of your ticket loaded onto your Farecard; to this end you must insert your e-mail address.
– Click on “Season Ticket” below the timetable search on our home page;
– Select the desired length from the selection available on the left hand side of the page;
– Select the desired route by clicking on the zones or entering your departure and destination stops;
– Then select the start date for your ticket and your ticket type (season ticket or discount season ticket);
– Make sure all of the information for your ticket is correct and enter the number of the Elron Farecard onto which you want the tickets to be loaded;
– Then enter the e-mail address to which you want a reminder of expiry of the season ticket to be sent;
– Select your bank, review the terms and conditions of use and make your payment. Having made your payment, click on “Return to vendor”.
– Having paid for your ticket, the ticket will be loaded onto your Farecard.
Present your Elron Farecard to the customer service representative on the train!
– Click on the “Load money” option below the timetable search on our home page;
– Select a pre-filled amount from the menu or enter your desired amount in the box below. Click on “Confirm amount”.
– Enter your Elron Farecard number on the displayed page and click on “Add to cart”;
– Select your bank, review the terms and conditions of use and make your payment. Having made your payment, click on “Return to Vendor”.
– If required, you can print out the page confirming that your card has been topped up or send the page to your chosen e-mail address.
– Tap your Elron Farecard on the ticket machine reader.
– Choose your desired destination – you can choose either a specific stop or in the near vicinity of Tallinn the zone which includes your stop.
– Choose your desired ticket – if you want to use your local government discount on your Smartcard, press “Choose” next to “Smartcard discount ticket” and then tap your Smartcard. If you want to buy a regular ticket without any local government discount, choose “Single ticket” or “Single discount ticket”.
– Based on the information entered the machine will display the price.
– To confirm your purchase, tap your Elron Farecard on the reader again.
Using a ticket machine is not a requirement, it is a voluntary option which you can use to buy or validate a ticket. A ticket bought from the ticket machine is equal to, for example, a ticket purchased in advance online which will also be checked by the customer service representative. The customer service representative has the right to check every ticket on the train.
It is possible to pay by VISA / VISA Electron, MasterCard / Maestro and American Express cards on all diesel trains. In electric trains, you can only pay with cash or by using the money on your Elron Farecard.
If you are travelling in standard class, you are not assigned a seat when buying a ticket, which means that we do not guarantee the availability of seats. Seats are guaranteed in first class where a seat number is assigned when the ticket is purchased, which gives you the right to sit in the assigned seat.
One preschooler with their parent can travel for free in first class. If there is more than one child, the standard price of first class tickets is applied to the rest of the children.
All single tickets purchased online are subject to a 15% discount. Elron Farecard gives a 10% discount on tickets bought from a ticket machine on the train.
Read more about other concessions here (link)
A train’s each passenger car is equipped with its own automated air-conditioning, set to regulate the temperature in the car correspondingly to the temperature outdoors – this means that to harmonise the temperature throughout the car, the system at certain intervals blows cool air into the car through its AC outlets. Applicable technical conditions for trains prescribe +18 °C to +25 °C as the indoor temperature to me maintained in all cars any time of the year. The train driver can regulate the air conditioning by no more than two degrees Celsius. Should you feel chilly on board, do not hesitate to let the customer service representative know; we also recommend that you move away from the air conditioning outlets, if possible.